Saturday, February 25, 2012

Stir-Fry Steak Lettuce Wraps


Many people have been asking for the ultra-healthy recipes I have been using as of late, so I thought it would be a good idea to start collecting the exceptional ones here, not only so I can share the wealth, but also so I can keep track of them myself. I am learning to love lettuce wraps and tonight’s were yummy!

One word of caution: I am a “Pinch” cook: a “pinch” of this, a “pinch” of that, and I never measure. What follows is a rough draft, the ingredients I used, and what I hope will provide a jumping-off point for others to recreate these to meet their tastes.

So without further ado . . .

Stir-Fry Steak Lettuce Wraps
1 pound VERY lean steak strips (I used Beef Bottom Round Strips, only 4.5 grams of fat)
Olive oil
1 red onion, cut into strips
6 large Romaine lettuce leaves
Reduced-fat blue cheese crumbles (optional)
Fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese
Taco Sauce (I used Taco Bell® Mild Taco Sauce)
Extra-tenderizing Worcestershire sauce


  1. Begin by sautéing the steak strips in olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add a bit of extra-tenderizing Worcestershire sauce to season and tenderize the steak.
                    

 
  1. While the steak is cooking, prepare your Romaine lettuce leaves on a plate.
                              

 

  1. Next, prepare the sauce. I am in love with reduced-fat blue cheese to add tons of flavor, but those are optional. You could also use low-fat sour cream with the taco sauce and just a bit of the Worcestershire sauce.  You don’t need much, just enough to drizzle over each wrap. As you can see here, I have made about ½ cup of sauce.
                              


 
  1. Return to your steak strips and add the red onion.
                                

 

  1. Once the steak is cooked to your liking (I used medium-rare), add 2 to 3 strips with onions to each lettuce leaf.
               



  1. Next, drizzle your sauce on top of your steak.
                              

 

  1. Top with fat-free shredded mozzarella cheese.
                                          

 

  1. Voila!  Enjoy!  Very low in calories, fat, and carbs while lots of protein and taste!
                                   




Approximate Nutrition Values
Calories: 369
Fat: 10 grams
Carbs: 13 grams
Protein: 45 grams

No comments:

Post a Comment